Wednesday, September 25, 2024

DC Greeter Reporting for Duty

I'm lucky to work at a company that values volunteerism so this morning I found myself at Dulles Airport as part of a group there to welcome a flight of veterans into DC (it's a wonderful program, read about it here); I rarely think to take pictures of anything or anybody unless I think it's gonna be funny so the only evidence I have right now is afterwards when I was waiting for a co-worker to come out of the bathroom. It goes without saying how beautiful & simple the whole thing was with old veterans, almost all in wheelchairs by now, visibly surprised & happy & grateful that people are there to greet them as a small military band plays each branch's song (and Aretha's Respect 🤷‍♂️). I always joke about my own military service - "Some Gave More, None Gave Less" - and this was another example - hell, I was back at my desk shitting out words to you people by like 11:30am - but it's a great thing to do and I encourage anybody else who can to do it. Next time I'll register to be one of the people who actually pushes a veteran around DC in a wheelchair and I promise to pretend it won't just be so I can make my obligatory "hey, (vet's name here)'s Ma says ain't nobody gonna push him around no more!" joke roughly every 11 minutes.

No comments: