Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Say the Word I'm Thinking Of

One of the many incredible tings we got from The Beatles' GET BACK documentary was how seriously they took writing the lyrics as they were learning the songs; in all my years of writing songs and teaching them to my bandmates not once did anybody bother to ask what the words were unless it was five minutes before a show and they suddenly became super-concerned about what the actual backups they'd been pretending to sing at practice were. Meanwhile, The Beatles were constantly stopping whatever they were playing to carefully walk through the lyrics with each other and writing down draft after draft. Do all bands do this? This shit was news to me; I guess that's just the super-thin line of success that separated me & The Beatles.

No comments: