Tuesday, December 02, 2008

TV


Every time I swear I'm gonna throw my tv out the window and dedicate myself to reading, I find myself toggling between too much amazing shit that's on. The Universe on the History Channel, The Revolution on History International, and of course PBS: a raging battle between Love Train: The Sound of Philadelphia and Alone in the Wilderness. Once a year or so I stumble on this joint, and I'm transfixed. Dude alone in Alaska. For a split second I think "boy, that'd be great!" Then I see him racing to build a cabin before winter sets in with his bare hands and I remember that I would last about 19 seconds out there. The footage is amazing; that grainy, cozy film footage of the 60s/70s. Love this flick.

That's the paradox of tv - 90% of it is atrocious, but that 10% is too amazing to let it go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You would do fine with the right clothing and accessories ("The Complete Walker" by Colin Fletcher). You'd have to bring one or two books along with a diary and tape recorder. Also learn how to wrestle a grizzly and avoid confrontation with the men of the wood. Or, to feed your inner outd0oorsman, just head on over Famous Daves for some tasty BBQ grub in the comfort of a warm cushioned booth (1950s style cabinesque).