Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Holidaze

Watching my married friends have to haggle over where to spend which holidays at whose parents' house, the degree of difficulty being raised to the nth degree if someone's parents are divorced, makes me think of my own youth and how we spent our holidays. Both of my parents' parents lived about 1000 miles away from us - I do not remember my parents even remotely considering going to one of their homes for Thanksgiving or Christmas; we celebrated each holiday in our own home, by ourselves. It never occurred to me it was done any other way.

As I get older, I feel I can be more choosy about picking a wife (I've been alone this long, what's another decade or so, what's the rush?), and thinking of this along with how people spend their holidays running around making themselves miserable reminds me of the old George Carlin quote:
"Marry an orphan: you'll never have to spend boring holidays with the in-laws."
Sounds good to me!

No comments: