Saturday, January 02, 2010

Mississippi: Part I

As I'm an incredible musician, people are always asking me how a song goes from a simple demo to a full-on recorded version that goes on to an album ("long players," to you old fucks.) So I thought I'd walk you through the process using the demo for a song that was on the Hayday album from, I think, 1915, but I am still "pushing," titled Mississippi.

Granted, my singing on the demo was amazing, particularly my astounding backups. And GodIHateYourHayday is great on the tamborine. But my fretwork (I played all the guitars, bitches) on the album version is also beyond crazy phenomenal too, so who knows which one's better. That was my "magic guitar day," if I recall ("you cannot produce Xmastime, you can only hope to capture him" - John Lennon)

But in listening to the original demo I'm like jeez, I knew I was an awesome guitar player, but SINGER too? Really? Man. Either way, I fucking rule. Apparently. But some people might like the original demo more than the final version, much like people might like the demo to, say, Born in the USA to the album version (though they'd be wrong.)

ps - sorry, but my guitar work on the album version is simply too awesome. eff you, demo version!!!!!

NEXT EPISODE: Part II - What are the Early Stages to How Xmastime Went from the Demo to the Final Version?





demo version:
Xmastime: all singing, acoustic guitar
GodIHateYourHayday: handclaps, tambourine

album version:
Xmastime – all singing, all guitars
Brian Patterson – drums
Kirk Henderson – organ, piano, tambourine
GodIHateYourHayday – bass

No comments: