Friday, May 21, 2010

Album Thoughts, V

It was always George Martin's policy that the first and last song on each side of a record should be strong - I think he called them an albums sign posts. Of course that doesn't matter these days since Steve Jobs simply sends songs to our minds via his death ray, but I thought I'd check out my favorites of each category from my favorite band.

Side 1 closers HERE
Side 2 closers HERE
Side 2 openers HERE
Hidden bonus track: best 1/2 album openers HERE

TODAY: Side 1 openers.


THE RAMONES
End of the Century
: Do You Remember Rock 'n Roll Radio?
Also Pretty Awesome: Blitzkreig Bop, Glad to See You Go, Cretin Hop, We Want the Airwaves, Little Bit O' Soul, I Wanna Live, I Believe in Miracles, Censorshit, I Don't Wanna Grow Up. When a track from Mondo Bizzaro makes the cut, you know this particular entry is gonna be very popular.

THE REPLACEMENTS
Pleased to Meet Me
: I.O.U.
Also Pretty Awesome: Kids Don't Follow, Hootenanny, I Will Dare, Hold My Life, Talent Show

THE BEATLES
Please Please Me
: I Saw Her Standing There
Also Pretty Awesome :  It Wont Be Long, A Hard Day's Night, No Reply, Help!, Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Back in the USSR, Two of Us. Jesus. This one's impossible.

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN
The River
: The Ties That Bind
Also Pretty Awesome: Thunder Road, Badlands, Nebraska, Born in the USA, Better Days, Lonesome Day, Devils & Dust, Radio Nowhere

THE CLASH
Give 'Em Enough Rope
: Safe European Home
Also Pretty Awesome: Janie Jones, London Calling, Know Your Rights

MARAH
Kids in Philly
: Faraway You. This is an all-time opener, almost impossible to beat.
Also Pretty Awesome: Fever, Float Away, East, The Closer

R.E.M.
Murmer
: Radio Free Europe
Also Pretty Awesome: Begin the Begin, Finest Worksong, Radio Song, Whats the Frequency Kenneth?, Living Well is the Best Revenge

HUSKER DU
Flip Your Wig
: Flip Your Wig (close: Those Important Years)
Also Pretty Awesome: Something I Learned Today, Flip Your Wig, Crystal, Those Important Years

SOUL ASYLUM
While You Were Out
: Freaks
Also Pretty Awesome: Tied to the Tracks, Spinnin', Misery, Stand Up and Be Strong

No comments: