Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Nothing, I Guess That's Where I'm From

Yesterday via Sully we read from Xmastime Hall of Famer Neil deGrasse Tyson:
[E]verything we've ever seen in the universe has gravity--Earth, the moon. And you can tell how much gravity something has by how fast something moves around it. ... Add it all up. We've done this. Add it all up and say that should give me this much gravity. But when you look at how fast things are moving, you get six times as much gravity as the stuff that we know about is generating. It was originally called the missing matter problem. Where is the matter that's making this gravity that we see? Because everything we do count up doesn't get us where we need. We now call this the dark matter problem.
Today we can see a discussion between   David Byrne  Robert wright and Lawrence Krauss re: what does "nothing" mean?

Obviously I am not a physicist - even though I got a 98 on my first book quiz in the 8th grade (A Day No pigs Would Die) that doesn't make me a genius, don't start with that shit - but it seems to me that since their main beef seems to be the definition of when shit started, we need to completely redefine the very terms we use and how we think of them - when a physicist says something like "Space itself, where there is no space", we're only asking ourselves to be even more confused than we already are.

No comments: