Thursday, December 27, 2012

Eff McGwire

THIS GUY HERE makes the case that Mark McGwire doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame even if you don't take his "possible" juicing into account:
Boil that all down via WAR and you get a case that’s less than definitive. Due to injuries, the 1994-1995 strike, and a retirement after his age 37 season, McGwire’s 16-year career featured just 10 seasons of at least 130 games played. Not surprisingly, his 58.7 career WAR is short of the Hall standard for first basemen by about three and a half wins. His peak score is much closer, 0.6 wins below the standard spread out over seven seasons — a run a year, a negligible amount given the assumptions built into such valuation systems (such as the choice for how many years to incorporate into a park factor). Given both, he falls short of the JAWS standard by 2.1 points and ranks 16th all-time among first basemen, with nine Hall of Famers above him and nine more below.
Of course, which rakish, devil-may-care bloggity-blogger made this case over 5 years ago? Hmm.
……even if God showed up and said that Mark McGwire did not 'roid up, there’s no way he gets my vote to go into the Hall of Fame. 1) no glove at all 2) ALL he did was hit homers. And when that’s the ONLY thing you do and that is under suspicion, sorry, but you’re out. At least Canseco could steal bases. My #1 reason I would never vote him in:

Career hits: 1,626 Career strikeouts: 1,596

Only 30 more hits than strikeouts for his career!???!? No way. So even if you remove the roids issue, he’s no HOFer in my book….and Mark, your crying, worthless jag in front of Congress did not help you….nor did making out with your son at home plate after you hit #62….
I also stand by this point, btw:
But it's also pretty clear that his "coming clean" is in part to clear the way for him becoming a hitting coach for the Cardinals this season. Now, part of being a "hitting" coach would, I assume, entail teaching other players how to "hit" the ball. So not only would I not want him in the Hall of Fame, but someone needs to explain to me why I'd want a lifetime .263 hitter who had only 30 fewer strikeouts than his 1,626 hits teaching me how to hit a baseball. I mean, what the fuck? Yes, if I want some juiced-up lumberjack who can cry on cue to teach me how to hit the ball outta the park and absolutely nothing else, he's my guy. Otherwise, you gotta be kidding me.

No comments: