Thursday, May 16, 2013

Sweet, Horrible Vindication (Again)

MOI on Beckham a coupla years ago:
I mean damn, only two years later and here I am looking at an empty Meadowlands on tv - who cares about the Giants playoff game when we're only 10 weeks away from our beloved Red Bulls kicking off their season in Seattle against the scrappy Sounders??!! Seriously, I don't know what's annoying me more right now - my corner bodega constantly being sold out of this season's Topps MLS cards (even with soccer I will not stoop to Fleer), or the neighborhood kids kicking the ball against my building 8, 10 hours a day/night. Thirty 11 year-olds scrambling around in their Beckham jerseys, gleefully screaming out things like "offsides!" and "offsides!", loving every minute of it. Hell, I avoid neighborhood bars now cause let's face it, how many times can you almost come to blows with another drunkard while arguing about what Barcelona and Brightstar need to do differently for soccer to succeed in South Florida, and what are the advantages for Miami Barca playing at Florida International University (on THAT field turf???!!) I also don't know how I got roped into coaching one of the local little league teams, but as long as I can tivo Monday Night American Football, I guess I won't miss anything important. Hey, I didn't think Beckham would be able to do it, but here we are. I was way wrong HERE when I lambasted soccer. Everybody else was right - soccer has now taken over the country, as witnessed by the millions of young boys playing paper soccer in high school libraries across the land. Thank you, David Becks!!!!!!! 
Anyways, yes, after causing a seismic shift in America re: soccer, he's hanging up his presumably amazing-scented jockstrap. Hmm. (tumbleweeds rolling by)

No comments: