Yesterday was the 60th anniversary of Rubber Soul (no big whoop but We Can Work it Out b/w Day Tripper were also released), and I'm realizing it may be the only album I love, truly believe to be a classic, and yet think it could be better as a 6-song ep.
WHAT SHOULD BE ON IT
Drive My Car
Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
Nowhere Man
The Word
In My Life
Think for Yourself
WHAT CAN BE CUT
You Won’t See Me - mid-tempo zzzzzzzzz from McCartney
Michelle - very clever, we all love Macca's endless retelling of its origin story but I mean camon
What Goes On - I know we wanna get Ringo a writing credit but this is terrible; they should've taken 10 more minutes on If You've Got Trouble for a Ringo tune instead (just let him come up with a line so he can get credit PROBLEM SOLVED!!)
Girl - is this even a song?
I’m Looking Through You - mid-tempo zzzzzzzzz from McCartney (tho great tambourine!)
Wait - I'll pay money to anyone who's jumped on their Spotify just to hear this one
If I Needed Someone - I know this is considered to be a George "classic" and, more interestingly, it's the only George song they ever played live but it's basically an inferior Nowhere Man
Run for Your Life - catchy & swings but is mostly blah & is hurt by it's WTF? position as an album closer.
It's crazy that this is the only album like this for me; great but could be made even greater but cutting it down by 57%???? 🤷♂️
No comments:
Post a Comment