Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Inherit the Fucking Wind

Via Guerreotype we see this:
The painful lesson: Contrary to gracious exes, being a bad spouse makes you a bad parent.  If you’d been a good spouse, you could have held your family together, and spared your children the pain of dissolution.  Of course, being directly bad to your spouse and indirectly bad to your children isn’t as awful as being directly bad to both.  But either way, he who troubleth his own house inherits the wind.
I don't have a spouse or kids, so I have no idea what makes a good or bad spouse or parent.  But I felt like the guy embarrassingly misappropriated the inherits the wind phrase.  That is, until just now, when upon looking online I see the loose meaning of the phrase is "you fucked up your family, and are now left with nothing."

This is disappointing to me; reading the play for the first time a few years back, I took it to mean that if you question that which is given (creationism), you are given the flight of progress (the wind being evolution.)  Even the followup line made sense to me, "and the fool shall be servant to the wise of heart" to me meant those led blindly without question by those who came before.  I guess I was wrong, and an idiot.  Fuck it, I like mine better.  "He who troubleth his own house" LITERALLY meaning "his house" seems too simple to me.  See - by just typing more words I've convinced myself I'm still right!

No comments: