Monday, September 23, 2024

On Books

There's a New Yorker article on the impetus for Amazon selling books that's mildly interesting but I'd like to highlight this:

Both Friss's book and Patterson and Eversmann's book suggest some answers. One is the obvious benefit of being able to fondle the product. Printed books have, inescapably, a tactile dimension. They want to be held. "Browsing" online is just not the same experience. For that, you need non-virtual books in a non-virtual space.

I've held & read hooks all my life, I know what a book feels like so I don't need to go to the store to find out; what I WOULD like is for Amazon to stop making it okay to fool you into buying what you think is going to be the standard/definitive edition published by an actual publisher and not some pile of garbage printed out in some motherfucker's basement on their dot matrix printer. I honestly don't know how this is legal. 😡 😡 😡 😡

No comments: