Thursday, October 14, 2021

Book vs. Movie: The Exorcist

I thoroughly enjoyed the book much more than the movie, although this may not be fair to the movie since I watched it immediately after reading, so everything was fresh in my mind and therefore not really surprising/scary. I liked how the book spent almost 90% of its time AGAINST doing the exorcism, whereas the movie got pretty much right to it. To the movie's credit it FLEW by, remarkably so for a horror film that's 2 hours long. But I also didn't find it super-scary like I'd anticipated - hell, just picturing the priest being alone in his bedroom on priest campus freaked me out while reading. Meanwhile, it's tough to actually show Regan as a demon onscreen without it looking a bit cartoonish, particularly in 1973. Such a thing is probably best left to the terrible imagination.

Then again, how scary can a book be when Dr. J is mentioned? 🤣

Both did a good job in transcribing what view of the early 70's I've somehow picked up over decades - fried eggs for breakfast, yellow everywhere, wallpaper wallpaper wallpaper!, and prescription barbituates being thrown around like candy.

I have no problem recommending both, but certainly give the book a big edge here.

You're welcome, Earf!

"Yes Mrs. MacNeil, it's terrifying, this fight we're fighting...until McDonald's puts a second piece of cheese on their Big Mac, we are to be forever ruled by pure evil..."

No comments: