Saturday, July 02, 2011

Bourdain the Loser

Xmastime favorite Anthony Bourdain speaks of how his wild nightlife almost ruined his career, and tells young chefs to do the opposite of what he did if they wanna become great chefs:
I was about getting the biggest paycheck then, so I could see music, smoke expensive weed, do cocaine, that kind of life. It was less important to me that I would get good at my craft. I deluded myself into thinking I was good. And by the time it occurred to me that I’d never worked for a three-star chef, I didn’t have the skills. It was late in the day.

I liked the life that went with being a chef. I was getting laid, I was getting high, I was having fun. I had no self-control. I denied myself nothing. I had no moral compass. At age 44, I had never had health insurance. I hadn’t paid my rent on time. I was 10 years behind on my taxes. I owed AmEx for 10 years. I was still living like a college kid—worse even. I essentially partied my way out of a big-league career.
Let's hope his use of "party" as a verb doesn't ruin his writing or tv career.

No comments: